Histomat: Adventures in Historical Materialism

'Historical materialism is the theory of the proletarian revolution.' Georg Lukács

Monday, May 12, 2008

Grand Theft Auto IV: A Marxist Analysis

Well not quite - I'm sure someone could do one but it ain't going to be me I'm afraid. My housemate has it, but I have only played it for about 20 minutes and all I accomplished was getting arrested for driving over a policeman's foot or something. If anyone wants to write a Marxist analysis of GTA4, I'll publish it, or if anyone knows of anyone that has written one, I'll link to it, but in the absence of one, I'll link to a defence of the game by Charlie Brooker. As Brooker notes,

'[T]here's a wealth of incredible detail and some surprising moments of satire. For example, Liberty City has its own TV networks, which you can sit down and watch if the mood takes you. One channel, Weazel, is a thinly-veiled parody of Fox that features shows such as Republican Space Rangers (a fascistic cartoon in which dimwitted right-wing hicks roam the galaxy exterminating peaceful life forms)'....

Personally, I can't really comment on such matters I'm afraid as I am currently still at 'the learning to drive the car stage'...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home